custom furniture, kitchens, and baths by fineartistmade

blog : local history

<< prev - page 1 of 5 - next >>
Three cutters in Factory #7, Seacoast Canning Co. On the right is Grayson Forsythe, 7 years old. Middle is George Goodell, 9 years old, finger badly cut and wrapped up. Said, “the salt gets unto the cut.” Left, Clarence Goodell, 6 years. (L.H.)

Goodbye Old House

May 19, 2020

Recently, while on the hunt for salvaged, wide plank, floor boards, we got a tip that a house on Hawkes Avenue in Eastport, that had languished for decades, was going to be torn down. We were familiar with the property because we considered it while house hunting in anticipation of our move Downeast.

 
The Holmestead c.1890 photo from the St. Croix Historical Society archives.  This photo and others were used to discern various details.

Fall Newsletter

October 3, 2019

2019 began with a kitchen and pantry renovation of a century old cottage in Red Beach, following the completion of a Perry seaside cottage bath. We then moved on to Phase II of the portico entrance restoration at the ‘Holmestead’ in Calais. That done, we are about to begin an Eastport bathroom restoration in an 1899 Queen Anne style home.

 
Our client's oak table and crank phone fit right in with the new period kitchen

The Cottage (part 2)

August 1, 2019

When the Red Beach cottage was built and by whom is still an open question. It has been added to and altered a number of times during its long life. Census records suggest occupation on that site as early as 1910. Structural tells found during the demo phase; square nails, hand planed beaded moldings, lath and plaster marks and extra wide old growth pine sheathing suggest an earlier date - 1860 to 1880.

 
Samuel de Champlain's 1613 map,  Isle de sainte Croix.  Red beach Cove upper left

The Cottage (part 1)

July 31, 2019

We celebrated the start of summer with the completion of our latest project; a kitchen/pantry renovation in a 100+ year old cottage, in the sleepy Calais suburb of Red Beach. Situated on the St. Croix River around a sheltered cove and first-rate mill stream, one would never suspect driving through this quiet residential district today, that it was once a vibrant, prosperous, self-sufficient community.

 
Our Perry house was built by Nathaniel & Mary Golding c.1893. Their youngest son, Jim is pictured in the foreground c.1898.

Restoration Tales

September 7, 2018

This year our 1890's restored farmhouse was really starting to show her age. After all, it's been nearly 15 years since her last paint job. So, following a relaxing spring sojourn in our old stomping ground, Sag Harbor, we decided it was time to 'pencil her in.' And what better time to 'pretty her up' than to coincide with the celebration of our adopted hometown's 200th birthday.

 
Historic photo of our home with members of the Golding family.

Wrap-up

December 1, 2017

This year we were fortunate to work with clients whose goals leaned strongly towards preservation and restoration. These are special opportunities for us. Successful hunts for antique hardware, lighting and appliances; plus following the home's ancient 'tells' made these projects especially authentic. A bit of magic always happens when a room or project comes to feel as though it has always been that way.

 
The historic Holmestead circa 1856.

Summer Newsletter

August 19, 2017

Our latest kitchen and pantry project in the historic, circa 1850, Benjamin R. Jones home in Dennysville and detailed in the blog, 'Square Nails and Tells', now has its finishing touches. Our clients took a trip down to historic Little Compton, RI and the Antique Stove Hospital to pick up their freshly rehabilitated kitchen stove.

 
Looking into the kitchen from the restored pantry.

Square Nails and Tells (part 1)

May 28, 2017

It's good that our current kitchen restoration is almost finished, as we have nearly depleted our stash of assorted antique square nails. For the sake of authenticity, they've been 'driven' into a new home; the historic c.1850, Benjamin R. Jones house, in Dennysville, on the town road leading to the Narrows.

 
View of Boston Common c.1750, sampler by Hannah Otis with the beacon on Beacon Hill and the stone mansion, built in 1737 by merchant Thomas Hancock - it is thought his nephew, John Hancock, is depicted on horseback.

The Old Hancock House

July 23, 2016

For the past year we've been on the hunt for an antique door for a restoration project. Our search through architectural salvage yards and antique shops down the coast of Maine came up empty, so we placed a want ad in a local newspaper.

 
1st Lt. John P. Sheahan, Company 'E' 31st Maine, ca. 1864 - promoted from Private 1st Infantry.

The Narrows (Part 4)

May 19, 2015

Benjamin R. Jones passed away in December of 1858, preceded by his wife, Mehitabel, just a year before. Three months after her father’s death, Amelia would remarry, a 36 year old farmer, Gilbert D. Foster.

 
<< prev - page 1 of 5 - next >>

fineartistmade blog
A journal about home design, gardening, art & all things Maine. Read more...

FAVORITE POSTS
 
 

join our mailing list | contact us

Join us at Facebook Join us at Pinterest View our Etsy store View our Houzz profile
 

© Copyright fineartistmade. All rights reserved. Website by Barnstormer Design Group.